Sunday, June 16, 2013

Clean Eating 101

What is Clean Eating?        

In a nutshell Clean Eating is eating REAL food! That means NOTHING processed with junk in it such as unidentified ingredients, added sugars, sweeteners and corn syrup YUCK!  Our bodies don't recognize these so called ingredients and doesn't know what to do with them, so it is then stored as fat.  Stay on the outside isles of the grocery store!  Even if you go into the aisles and try to read the ingredients, you will find out that it is not food!
How Can I succeed with Clean Eating?
First and foremost, PLAN.  Clean eating is successful by planning what you are going to eat.  I could not despise meal planning more.  I am a Project Manager by trade and it's in my DNA, however out of all the things I plan, meals is not my strong suite!  However, I know without a plan, failure can be near by and that is not something I want when I've worked so hard on the fitness side.  I tend to keep it simple. I do a lot of fish or chicken with a veggie, and I eat a lot of the same things rotated so it isn't so cumbersome.  When I get bored, I switch it up and change it around.  I definitely have certain staples in my fridge and freezer!

EATING OFTEN is very important to keep the fire burning with your metabolism!  You should be eating every 2 1/2-3 hours.  You know if you wait too long to eat you will end up really hungry and you will eat whatever is in your path! Also, our bodies are designed in a way that eating regularly allows them to regulate our insulin levels and blood sugar which keeps our metabolism up and running and doing it's most effective job, burning FAT!  Our bodies are like a well oiled machine when you treat them right.


NO OVEREATING! Make sure you are eating the right PORTION's.  How often have we overeaten only to feel like a big sack of potatoes!  Nothing like the guilt and boat load of other emotions that come with over eating.  Rule of thumb for portion control is for lean protein to be the size of the palm of your hand, two cupped hands for veggies, and cupped for fruit and grains.  STOP when you are full!  Don't keep on eating.  If you do keep on eating, ask yourself why you are doing so when you are full.  Get to the bottom of that emotional eating and you will make a life long habit change that will be so impactful for your success.

Should I count calories while clean eating? 

The answer is YES, especially when you start a new clean eating program.  The reality is that a lot of clean foods still have calories and some of them are quite high.  They are all really healthy for you and great in moderation.  Nuts can add up quickly and if you are making a fresh juiced green drink with fruit the calories can add up also.  Healthy fats are wonderful (coconut oil, avocado, nuts), however keep them in moderation due to higher calories.  I personally use My Fitness Pal to keep track of my caloric intake.  I find it very useful to find calories I didn't realize I was eating. 

Can I Eat Clean if I have Food Allergies?

ABSOLUTELY!  I personally am Gluten Intolerant and have Celiac Disease.  I have been eating Gluten Free (GF) for 10 years.  I am also currently Dairy/Soy Free (DF/SF) and have been for about 7 months since I am nursing my son and he has sensitivities to these allergens.  I will NOT go back to either.  I feel SO much better and couldn't be happier without them.  Other allergens like eggs and peanuts are common.  You can absolutely maintain a clean diet without any of these.  I started an elimination diet with the removal of all these allergens when my son first showed signs of being allergic and maintained my diet well.

Is Dessert Allowed while eating Clean?

Yes, of course in MODERATION!  Make sure that it is REAL food and not the processed junk that most desserts are!  Also, if you make a batch of Banana Chocolate Avocado Pudding, freeze it in portions that you can take out one at a time so you are not tempted to eat the entire batch! Preaching to myself here!!!!  Definitely try some of the amazing Shakeology Desserts I will be posting! SOOOOO GOOD!!!! 

Will I go through DETOX when I start to Eat Clean?

Some people say that they experience detox symptoms.  Think about it, you have been filling your body full of processed junk and you are suddenly feeding it healthy whole foods!  What a wonderful thing!  Once you change your eating habits, you will start to see changes.  Great changes!  Your weight will change and your energy levels will be increased.  I have also experienced changes in my skin, nails and hair.  I have always had dry brittle nails and now they have a sheen to them that they have never had!  I also have much clearer skin.  Remember it takes time to purge your system of junk.  Believe it or not, it takes 3 weeks to get dairy out of your system!  Crazy Right!?!  Imagine how long it takes to get chemicals out?

I am not getting RESULTS, what should I do?

If you are not getting results from whatever it is that you are currently doing, message me and we can chat to determine what you may need to do differently.  The Beachbody Programs and Shakeology are GUARANTEED results if you follow the program.  I have been going to the gym since I was 15 and have never had the results I am getting now from Beachbody AND it’s cheaper!  The accountability groups online make it fun and keep us connected!

No comments:

Post a Comment